P Sherman 32 Wallaby Way Sydney!

It's that time again. That never ending itch...no I haven't gotten bitten by any bugs like normal travels. Just the mythical one...the travel bug. Lately, life has been a whirlwind. I've closed some chapters and opened far more.

Last year, I cancelled 3 prepaid trips...yes, you heard me right. THREE. Nicaragua Yoga Retreat, Portugal in September and Costa Rica in December. I know what you are thinking, Give me some of that money guuurl, how could you just not go?

I rationalized with myself every time...incredible opportunities at work, lost my Grandpa and you guessed it, more work and a man I didn't want to leave.
I'm prepping for my long flight, potentially with a tequila or two when I meet an Aussie! Look, I'm making friends already...my charisma hadn't failed me yet.
Jay works for New Zealand Airlines and lives in Sydney, Australia. She got me the "homie discount" if you will. Maybe I should say "Mate Discount." Off I went!


Usually my chant is I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T, however, last year I earned the I-D-I-O-T hand clap instead.

Alright alright, enough of the backwards thinking. Y'all remember Jay? My inseparable buddy from my volunteer trip two years ago? WELL, she was turning 30 and for two years I never took her up on the offer to come visit her. The time has come darling, pack your bags and start practicing your Aussie slang. 



3 years ago, I was headed to my first solo trip abroad and I was bragging about my "luck and extra leg room" It went as follows:

You know those people you read about? The ones with the great job, best of friends and a family most people long for? The ones who pretty much get everything aligned and luck out 9 days out of 7? Who's boss let them take 8 weeks off work because she wanted to travel the world?...right after they got a promotion! The ones who get upgraded to first class just because? 
I'm that girl...sitting in first class free of charge. Okay fine, it's the row right behind first class...but that means the emergency exit...which if you know anything about planes it's the row with extra leg room so long as you agree to save everyone else's life before yours! AKA the poor girl's version of first class! But all the rest...true as can be! Everything aligned perfectly for this trip.
Fast forward 3 years, I am checking in to my 12 Hour flight as First Class. I sat there, thinking uhhh, "How do you first class?" Are these socks included? Champagne, yes! My Main? Uh, sure pick this one. Wait a minute...this seat is a BED? Hells yaaaaaa. Take my glass, pamper me and oh yeah, it's all included. Why sleep when I'm getting free wine? Because you're getting old and you get hangovers easier than the stiff hip you've recently discovered is a new norm. 



And to think...I was bragging about the extra leg room in the exit row. Now, well now I made it! How would I EVER fly like a normal person anymore? Don't worry, we'll show you. 

I have a layover in New Zealand. Easy peasy. But, no. Why would you ever make your travels easy Shayna, that's not your style. 

Since I was flying standby, I had to get another boarding pass. Sheeeeeit. That's a long line to check out of New Zealand I think to myself as the family of 4 in front of me have a cart full of stuff to go through customs. If God would have only made me 5 inches taller with a longer stride I'd had beat them to the line. I'll never make it, I thought to myself. I passed through customs, ran to get my new boarding pass -- this nice couple who was clearly on their way to their honeymoon let me go in front of them. And all for......."I'll need your Australian Visa," says the Airline Attendant. Come again? No, no I'm American I'm just visiting I wont be staying there long. Yeeee still need one ma'am.


Well, shit. I really am not going to make it, maybe at all. Don't worry -- I managed to get the boarding pass to the next flight, my visa where the main question was "have you been convicted of a crime?" Define crime. Define "convicted". Let's just say no.

Continuing on to Sydney -- I make it safely. I am now on hour 18 of travel. I get to Jay's place via Uber. May I take a moment of silence for my safety. Goodness gracious these driver's here. Speed Bumps are seen as a suggestion. Oh, and they are on the other side of the road so my natural instincts are giving me anxiety attacks when he is making a left turn on the WRONG SIDE OF THE...oh wait, never mind. You're good Sir, don't mind me.

Jay had a fresh towel, a pre-loaded train card and a sweet note for me when I arrived since she was at work.

I headed into town to meet her after a much needed and appreciated shower. She tells me it would take 30 minutes to reach the stop for her. I've found the train, boarded and surrounded by a never ending amount of middle school kids just getting out for the day and heading home.

1. They have TERRIBLE mouths - who taught you to talk that way?
2. I'd probably use that dirty awful language to describe their uniforms - god awful. (And this is coming from a girl who wore a uniform all the way until 8th grade)
3. It's been 30 minutes and...

"We've reached the end of the line, this is now the time to exit" WAIT, WHAT?!

Yes, Shayna has once again managed to "enjoy the journey" for an extra 30 minutes in the wrong flippin direction. *insert hand clap here*


I suppose I should pay attention to the "Platform" number next time I take the train. I finally make my way to Jay back into the city. She was now about to be off work since I took so long -- all I know is I needed a coffee and a snack. Sydney Harbor was where I ended up -- coffee! I'm sorry, why is Americano not an option? What is a short black or a long black? Are those socially acceptable references? Long story short - their coffee is nothing to travel to Australia for.

It's her! Reunited with a very loud yell and over the top hugs. It was time to do my headstand -- even if it was raining and I would get hurt.




Jay is a hip hop dancer and is participating in the Mardi Gras parade so she has rehearsal. I told her I would go watch. We end up getting there late thanks to my unfortunate misdirection. When we walk in they are mid-rehearsal, I was going to sit in the back corner -- she made me get in line and rehearse with them. There I was...white girl no rhythm, trying to play catch up with this group of hip swaying, arm waving overly amazing dancers. Do you think the instructor knew I didn't belong? Lol.

It was absolutely so much fun but I managed to do the nervous laugh about 30 times during the instructors lessons. Typical.

Afterwards, Jay wanted to take me out for her birthday night -- we went to a gay bar. Holy hell. It was amazing, tense, hilarious, appreciative and a never ending amount of compliments. You know drunk women in line at the bathroom in a bar? They love you, your outfit, they talk you up from that worthless ex that girl in the first stall is cryin about...well, that my dear is exactly what you get in the gay bar also. We had so much fun but damn I NEEDED sleep.

The next day we were heading out of town, somewhere Jay didn't know. Her friends planned a lake house Air BnB down in Jarvis Bay. I was just along for the ride. I met 8 AMAZING souls, just like Jay. They welcomed me with open arms, they confused me with their Aussie lingo and they questioned a lot of the "American" things. Like, who is your favorite Chris? I'm sorry -- what?





Chris Evans. Chris Hemsworth. Chris Pratt. Feel free to answer yours below. We continued to talk about all the things girls do on a road trip. Men, Work, Societal Politics. We managed to get to the topic of acceptable meals...we were talking about eating Kangaroos -- I said no to the hell no. They began to ask about chickens and I said listen I will eat "moo's and chickens" I'm sorry what? Did I mention I was 5 hours behind and a day ahead and sleep deprived and delirious? I was not putting my best American foot forward. Moo's? who says that? You mean COWS Shayna?I even managed to further reiterate the American Arrogance by talking about certain shirts that read "Back to Back World War Champs" not that I own one. They had a field day with this. Why are you doing this to yourself Shayna? Maybe just take a nap and sit this one out. 

The weekend was absolutely amazing. We had lake views, great weather and delicious family style dinners.



Jay's friends were just as kind as her and more. We did all sorts of exploring with a continuous harmony of laughter between the different personalities. Everyone knew my obsession with wanting to find a Kangaroo. So we were on high alert for one. Even went Kangaroo hunting as we drove around in circles where they are typically sighted. Not. Even. One. Do you think they heard you that one time where you said you weren't an animal lover?

We were all sitting on the porch listening to music, watching the sunset and drinking wine...when all of a sudden I hear Sam say "Shay, Kangaroo!" I literally about jumped off the balcony I was so excited I fell out of my chair...where? wait...I don't see it where, where?! *laughter mixed with snorting and cackling* Sam was fucking with me. Still no Kangaroo.


I decided that my trip wasn't long enough and I extended it two extra days because I wanted to explore Sydney a little more and because, well...I could. When we got back in to the city and Jay went back to work on Monday -- I decided I would try this train thing again, in the right direction and go check off all the "things" I should see in Sydney. Let's start with a damn Kangaroo sighting -- even if that meant I was paying an entry fee to the Zoo to do so. They were a let down, let me just say. They just sit there. Lazy. Doing nothing. Not hopping around. Not trying to box a human. Not putting their little Joey's in their pouches. Not a damn thing.



Fine. I'm going to the Koala's, at least they are cute when they sleep.



Then, without even realizing it -- I walked 13 miles exploring Sydney. You'd think I was joining Dory in her efforts to find Nemo at P Sherman 32 wallaby way Sydney.



It was then that I decided, my last day is going to be spent spoiling myself at a nice hotel, with a rooftop pool and a harbor view. Yes. Please.



I sure was going to miss Jay, she was my sunshine. She is and always has been. There are certain people in your world that you meet who just bring an innate sunshine to those around them --  that is her. I am so grateful for the heart I have to travel because it has led me to people like her and places like this. There is a lot I want from life and a lot I fear. My biggest fear is not becoming the complete woman God gave me the potential to be. My largest desire is that I can inspire a few people to live their life outside of their comfortable corners of the world.



The world is big, the kind souls are endless and the humbling that travel brings you is inevitable.

So start saying yes to things. Start letting your safe corner of the world be a common but not your only.


Comments