Indulging in the Madrid Culture and Hoping to Make it Out Alive


12 hours. 12 hours of a plane ride that didn't have personal entertainment...eh. Time to catch up on some reading? Siiiiiiike. Time to nap my life away and wake up in Madrid! 

...it's 7 AM and I'm going through customs in Spain...Ahhhh!!! That embarrassing Happy Dance that I've almost perfected by now breaks out! 

It's now been officially a month of being gone. I've had my handful of struggles that range from catching infamous food poisoning (or water, who knows) in Peru to getting lost in just about ever city and even the squirming disgusting plague of bed bugs from a hostel...I think it's time to treat myself. 

So, I do! Where's the Hilton?...budget Shayna budget...okay, where's the Marriott? Thanks to a wonderful family friend I got a discounted rate in an amazing hotel in Madrid and got to check in so incredibly early it felt like I got 2 nights for the price of 1. 


All I could think of was that bathtub...the privacy...the dark shades...the multiple pillows (cause life has been a one pillow kinda sleep since I've been gone and if anyone knows me, you know my bed has about 10 back home)...the tv. Ahhh. Finally. 

Once I rested up, I headed to the mall that was across the street to grab some much needed warmth since I ditched about 5 shirts and a pair of shorts. 

I got a jacket, a sweater...and two scarfs. Two...did you need two? No buuuuut, I wanted both colors!! All I can think is, lord help me...my willpower to not buy those cute boots was about as powerful as a heroine addict overcoming the withdrawal phase. (Yes, that's accurate and not dramatic!) 

Time to head to the "hostel" in City Center! It was called "The Hat" and honestly is was about the cutest damn thing I'd ever seen. A botique hostel that seemed more like a hotel that had a bar, a rooftop resturaunt and bar, a lounge and a "cave." 

So the first night, I attended the "Travelers Meeting" that consisted of two girls fresh out of college from San Francisco and a group of friends from Holland here on a vacation. The "host" or guide...proceeded to take us on the Pub Crawl to follow. It was a great way to get a feel for the famous nightlife of Madrid. Guided. Safe. Seems legit. Oh boy...I'm too old to keep up with these kids. Ha. You're the grandma of the group Shayna, order your beer and skip the tequila. 

Yeah...we know what happens next. The next morning I never felt so old...I warned you bitch, these aren't your sorority days anymore. You may still be able to party like a rockstar, but you can't recover like one. (We all managed to survive!) It was a fun night in Madrid. 

The next day, I decided...if I really want to indulge in the culture...if I really want to understand this country, I must understand its religion. 

So, I went to church. 
Yes, Fútbol is their religion. The stadium is their church. Perks of being a solo traveler: best tickets for cheap since there is always that one seat that didn't get filled

So there I am, midfield...sitting in between a bunch of older men who were clearly season pass holders. I truly think I'm invisible. The game starts, and if you ever want to experience a bipolar person's personality traits with a hint of turrets...go to a game. 

Let me start off by saying...I'm a football fan...not a fútbol fan. My knowledge of the game goes as far as, get the ball in between those poles! (Given an athletic background...I guess I can pick up on sooome of the rules) My knowledge of the game is the equivalent to my understanding of the foulness that is coming out of these fan's mouths. 

Putoooooo. Vamos vamos vamos. Pincheeeee. Nada nada. Vamos. Vamos!!!! Perfecto! Bien! Putoooo! Mi amo! Torres! Vamos! Biennnnnnn! Ayeeeee pinche! 

These men and yelling in anger, falling in love, cursing and praising the players all in the same sentence. I'm laughing hysterically...suddenly I was no longer invisible. These men are pissed and I can't held but laugh and smile so big because of the entire presence I was in. 

I'm at a game, in a country I don't know, with a language I don't understand too well and a game that I can't exactly say I have any emotional investment in...it was about then when I felt very sacreligious. I'm going to Spanish Fútbol hell for this. 

The game continues and the second half was far more exciting than the first...the old man next to me offers me some of his snacks and of course I wasn't going to offend him even more...or let him know i didn't speak Spanish. The next goal later the guy to my other side jumps up in victory and kisses the man (he doesn't know) behind him on the cheek in happiness! He high fives me and we all chant "feeeeeeeeernandooooo torresssssss la la la la la Fernando tooooooress lo lo lo lo" This YouTube video I found seems to sum up the chant...

It was a great game with Atletico de Madrid winning 3-1 and the main player, Fernando Torres...scoring his 100th goal. 

Spain is absolutely beautiful and so much different than South America. Not better, not worse but much different. I've got a few more days here to take in the beauty but here's a few pics I've been able to capture. 


Oh, and the best part...the tapas! Life as I know it is gone, this is a new way to live. The thing about Spain is these Tapas Bars. It's cheaper to order a beer and get your free tapas than it is to order food without the beer. 2.5€ beer, free food. Or 10€ plate of food? Hmm seems like a naturally logical choice to order the beer. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing it. 

Relax, I'm not drinking all day everyday...just everyday, not all day. (I Joke! I joke! I kid! I kid!) 

...and now I'm off to FaceTime my best friend so I can watch the SuperBowl...a game I can actually understand! 









Comments