The Amazing Race.

Well, well, well...we meet again. 

The past two weeks has turned into an amazing race across Europe. Mission was to get to Rome by the 25th and hit as much sights in between. Mission Accomplished.

I'll sum up each country by the top reason to visit...

England was cold...but pretty cool. Get it? Cold. Cool. I'm pun-ny. 

England is coming in strong with the top reason for visiting: The Accent. Yes, I did snapchat several times "You sound like you're from London!!" 

Sure, the street art was phenomenal and Big Ben was epically monstrous. But sitting in a coffee shop and listening to everyone talk around you with such an adorable accent where you can't help but giggle and think, wow us Americans sure did turn English to Rubbish. They use lovely and brilliant about as often as we use "like." 

Listen here...I'm the type to adapt to my surroundings if necessary. I try to indulge in the culture regardless of the length of time I'm there. What better way to indulge than to speak properly and maybe with a bit of an accent? Cherri-o Mate! 

Go to England. Speak brilliantly with the lovely mates there and leave the rubbish behind. 

One long bus/ferry ride later...and we are in Paris! Paris. Hmm. 

What was going to be the top reason to visit? The people? Surely, their snooty attitudes were just Soooo appealing...but no. The food? Uh, sorry but snails are not exactly on my pallet. I'd rather have Guinea Pig. (Yes, I did just say that) Oh, it must have been all the shopping...NOT if you're a broke traveler who would rather spend money on a ticket to somewhere else than a Louis Handbag.

The Eiffel Tower. Hands down, the best. Starting my trip my feelings towards Paris was like, "hmm okay that'll be cool I guess." My expectations were not that high...but by God was I blown away. The Eiffel Tower took the breath right out of my chest. My first true glimpse of it was on a dinner cruise at night when I saw the Twinkly Tower. Sparkling like all its magic it held. There was no explanation for it...no reason that I had as to why I loved it so much. But I did. There was something magical about it and beautiful. Now, I'm all for my solo traveling and encourage others to as well...The Eiffel Tower is not a stop for those over sensitive for the loneliness feels. If you have a significant other, you might want to make sure they are there. It's like a sea of love-- around the statue, on the love lock bridge, in the streets...everywhere for that matter. Made me miss mine, that's for sure. But, it was so beautiful I made sure to see it every day I was there. 

Next stop, Italy. Venezia to be specific. For one day. We took a night train from Paris to Venezia which was maybe 12 hours or something...an experience to say the least. Riding through the snow covered Alps with the moonlight reflection on the ground...In a six bed cart. It had its pros and cons. But I say, do it! My mother would disagree...something along the lines of "I want nothing to do with Venice after this ride" was her way of saying Good Morning! 

We arrive in Venice, Italy the next morning. Holy beautiful! The past week and a half has been go, go, go! It's been hard to find the "peace" in the midst of the race. The moment I stepped on that island I instantly felt it. Calmness. I could easily spend a month here, not talking to anyone, just reading or writing or people watching. 
Top reason to visit Venezia: The Atmosphere. 

Yes, it's touristy. Yes, it's an "icon" city. But, don't let that stop you. The streets were quiet. The little bridges were everywhere. The shops were small. The viewing of only The Venetian Mask collections were easily a day journey in and of itself. The sunset was like no other. But don't wait until 3 pm to get hungry because that's siesta time and you'll have to wait til 7 pm until you can get a decent meal! 

I truly got on that train the next morning and my hurt was starting to surface. I didn't want to leave. I simply wasn't ready. 
Maaaaaaaybe, this guy needs some help running his business...I've never been a captain of a gondola but this trip was all about adventure, right?

I suppose the race continues...packing my damn bag yet again. Florence, Italy. Ahhhh. Tuscany. I've been waiting for you. Wine. Tuscany. Italy. Does life get better? (Yes ma'am it does, add some pasta and gelato and you, my friend, have the recipe for happiness.)

This is the food I've been waiting for. This is the reason I lost all those pounds in Peru...

Florence gets the wine over the country award. Also, very big must...go to the Central Market. I'll warn you now, do a lap up AND downstairs before you commit on where to eat. And for goodness sake, never say no to a free sample...

However, get out of Florence. Go to Sienna! Go to more of the country side. See those vineyards and drink that wine like Jesus himself told you to! Oh wait, he does! 

I also encourage you to make friends with the locals...language is no barrier here. Haha. 

But now it's time for Rome...

Holy carbs! Holy ancient! Holy Rome! The thought of just how old these buildings are blows my mind. The richness of this Chardonnay takes my taste buds to a happy place. The freshness of the pasta puts all others to shame. Have I mentioned the pizza? What about seeing the Pope? Rome has been far too wonderful to even describe properly. Come to Rome...because it's Rome. 

Spend three months here. Learn the history. See the buildings. Taste every gelato in this town...right after you have all the pasta. You won't regret it, your pants might but don't worry there is plenty of clothing stores.  
So I think it's fair to say...i'll call it Eatly. 


But my favorite part about this race...was being able to watch the joy in my mother's eyes and seeing HER dreams come true. 


Just like that...this chapter ends. 

I head home tomorrow. What a bitter sweet feeling. 









Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you Shayna! It's been an adventure reading about your experiences and seeing all the photos. Good luck in your future endeavors and in the next chapter of your life! You go glen coco

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment