The abundance of senses

I arrived in China for a layover...after 16 hours of a 2 year old with very active legs placed precisely in the seat behind me. Very chatty too. 

Now, 7 hours to kill...well, I might as well go to the bathroom. Life mocks me: oh ya do, do ya? Watch this...

 

Excuse my language....but what the fuck is that? At this very moment I'm extremely grateful of the fact I only have to pee. There's no support handles, no side railing, no guard rail...just the support of those thighs. Good thing you've been squatting lately... 

7 hours of over priced coffee, no airport bar, a lady who had no idea what "my bubble" means...all ever  assertive of herself in mine. I board the plane! 

 

Holy Thai! 

I land in Thailand, so dang excited. Rushing to find my way into the city...when BOOM! 

 

That's a whole lot of customs. I wait, I wait, I wait some more...when I begin to realize that time I thought I packed light, my shoulders say differently. 

My first lesson was patience and Thailand wasn't giving up on that! I made it through! The airport is insane! So many people, not so much room. Find my way to the taxi. Hop in and let's go! 

I'm fortunate enough to have experienced Peruvian driving, so it's not as alarming when I land in Bangkok and their ways of the road are different. 

Although traffic signals are abided by...lanes are more of a suggestion. It's kinda like when you know you shouldn't be on Facebook at work, but you scroll through your news feed anyway. Everyone does it...but it could be enforced if they wanted to. Very similar to road lanes here. 

(Picture below indicates which lane he is in...Ha!) 

 

Driver...there's a, guy on a moped there like right in front of you...like 5 meters in front of you, you're accelerating. 
Ohhh, you're just gunna go into the other guys lane and sandwich him against the wall. Ok, cool...I wasn't sure if braking might of been a better option but seems like you've got this all figured out.

 

Get to my place. Street is super cool, atmosphere wise...definitely not this 95 degree humidity overload weather. My hairs got the same wanderlust spirit as me these days...

 
 I venture out to explore and to keep myself awake as long as I can, in hopes of getting into their time. Going for some Pad Thai!! Where you at? Every 5 feet, from the vendor to the restaurant...be sure to choose the best one. 

 

Fried, WHAT?? Oh, I did hear that right...let's just say...I paid the 10 baht. 

 

The smells of Bangkok are notable, yet indescribable. I'll plead the fifth on this one.

Next stop, Thai Massage. All of $4.50 in American dollars for a half hour of a very small but very strong older Thai woman who decided to use my body to relieve her anger. But damn did I need that after 26 hours of traveling. Unfortunately for you and your entertainment he 4.50 didn't cover a happy ending despite what you all may have thought. 

I sleep...ok I guess, given that my hotel is on a backpackers party scene. 
 

It's 5 am...I can't sleep. My body is up! One quick google search landed me with a "you should go to the floating market" 

Ok, I say...hour outside of the city...off I go! I'm almost positive I got the special "American price" 3 times of much as I should have. You're in sales for a living how do you not negotiate better than that?! You shut up...you're helping their economy, right? 

Best decision EVER! 

 
 
We float along the river, canals...I see all the houses, shops and lushest vegetation. 

I get a coffee, a painting, some spring rolls that the little old lady was making right in her boat...and a couple braclets. Just sit back, enjoy my coconut and observe! 

 
 
     

Okay, it was time to head back...when my taxi driver said in the limited English he knew..."oh oh oh, elephant. Right here, out out out." 

Next thing I knew I was at an Elephant Park...where yes, I'll admit, I rode an elephant. I felt bad about it given that that's one of the many reasons I'm here is to stop from such treatment for the elephants...but nevertheless, I did it. Judge me as you will.

 
 

Comments

  1. Best morning read!! i just love reading your journey..thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment