Part 1. Reflect

I cannot believe it has been over a year since I've posted, just about at least. 2019 rocked my world. In all the necessary and heart breaking ways.

Last February I got to travel to Australia to see Jay, and it was great. However, since then...if I told you what my life looked like on a weekly basis, you'd probably grab a pencil to make sure you didn't miss anything, ask me "in the same week?" and then throw the pencil down on the table, take a deep breathe and order a glass of wine. Don't worry, I usually order the whole bottle. 

In all honesty, it's been a wild ride this last year. I took a promotion at work, which required a hefty learning curve and extra travel. However, it has been the best thing to happen to me professionally. When I took the promotion, it gave me some flexibility and it also would be favored to be centrally located. On March 16th last year, I felt the weight of the world on me and it was saying "this chapter is closed and it's time to grow again." I have been very fortunate to have experienced such heavy and clear moments in my life, however, it’s only been 3 times so far.

And unfailing when I know, there is no ignoring it. It is like a constant image of me next to a measuring stick and God pointing at it saying, "you are here, and you need to get here"....unfortunately for my tippy toes, that doesn't actually translate into growing taller. Thick and mighty I am, short and grab the step stool I must.  

So there I was, packing up my Honda Accord and driving halfway across the country to Texas. I made it, I knew for WHATEVER reason, I was meant to be in Texas for this chapter of my life. Maybe there is a cute cowboy waiting for me? Stay tuned...I'm still waiting. 

Change. Change. Oh, and more change. A month after moving to Texas I lost my Grannyma, unexpectedly. I'm going to fast forward through the details of the pain, however, I knew that my instinct of coping meant, not. It meant fast forward, stand tall, don't be the loudest in the room and just keep going. Emotional detachment was my knew norm. Healthy, right? I was aware but I wasn't in control of changing it. "Yes you were bitch" that annoying sarcastic inner voice mumbled. If you're new to reading my blog...she usually always speaks in italics like the prissy know it all she is. Just take a look back, I dare ya.

Back to the point...I had changed my position, my home, my relationship status, my heart and attempting to navigate the next steps of grief. IT. WAS. A LOT.

What did I know to be true? I knew my family is my heart and traveling the world is my soul. Lucky for me, I have gotten to spend quite a lot of time with my family in the last few months. So now, I must travel. But where? I always found myself searching flights to "Anywhere" and seeing what pulled at me. I knew I wanted adventure but I also knew this trip was going to be different...I was going because I knew I needed to process and I needed to reflect. I was one Eat, Pray, Love scene away from booking a trip to Bali...so I watched it.

For the first time in my life, I watched the movie...I had only read the book (and I recommend keeping it that way). But, there I was on a Friday night in the middle of Winter in Dallas, having a glass of wine next to my Christmas tree and hit "Book Now"on a flight to Bali.

The only reason I was able to finish out the rest of the crazy work year and face the holidays without Grannyma was because I knew I had this to focus on at the end of it all.

Janruary 7th came quicker than...nevermind, Your mother is reading and shared it with her Deacon, "I swear I raised her better" Yes, yes she did.


Here I was, the night before leaving and hadn't packed a dang thing..but the wine helped sooth my stress. What do I need? Everything. Options. Always options. It's going to be 90 degrees with 96% humidity? Yes, you still need that sweatshirt. So I packed, and packed extra just in case. Off I was...next stop, BALI! Sorry, that was misleading. I had 3 flights and 26 hours until paradise. Dear Lord help me.

My first flight was to LAX, 3 hours. Easy peesy, I do this all the time to visit the family. I sit down, in my window seat (after a margarita or two) and know I need to stay awake to help with the time adjustment. Airpods in, audible book on...laptop out. My hair got caught in the hood of my sweatshirt (I told you I needed that sweatshirt) **insert hair flip here** when my worst nightmare comes true, my airpod fell out. Where do you ask? Be nice be nice be nice. 

Airpod in air...lands in the cleavage of the big ol lady next to me. The worst part...she didn't even notice!! So there I was, finding myself staring and pointing at her breast, looked up at her, looked down at them...trying to spew the words out. She gives me this "Can I help you?" look. Uh, my airpod is being sandwiched between your two, your uh, "I lost my airpod and I think you caught it" finally came out. She laughed and then reached her hand to grab it like a toy claw machine hoping to get the best stuffed animal in there...I was mortified. 5 minutes in Shayna...FIVE! This is going to be a long flight. 

DFW>LAX>Hong Kong>Bali 

I somehow accomplished the long travels in coach...I walked past those 1st Class sleeping pods like the peasant that I am. How is it that you flew to Australia in one of those last year, but now you're in aisle 42 one row away from the bathroom and you barely can even get the flight attendant to get you some headphones? Simmer down and humble yourself Shayna, the ONLY reason you know what it's like to be in first class is because Jay got you the buddy pass...not because you've made it there in life. I told you that italicized inner thought was a bitch.

When I get to Bali, I am not yet feeling excited because I am so delirious and ready for a shower. Not to mention, I was swollen beyond belief, having the window seat and short layovers don't exactly get the blood pumping. If you've ever traveled abroad in a third-world country than you know that you can bargain with the taxi drivers...no hesitation was had when i walked away from their first offer of 150,000 RP. (~$11) "Lady, lady we do discount" ...I'm listening..."120,000 RP for you" No thanks, I'll just get it from someone else, thank you! "Lady lady, how much?" 85,000 RP the Hotel offers, you do for 75,000? Shayna, Why did you suddenly start forming your sentences like you English isn't your first language? SOLD! 



Bags are loaded, have what appears to be a teenage boy driving me in a van that was sandwiched between two other vans. Well, that explains the scratches on the vehicle! As he attempts a 33 point turn to get out from them, I am drenched in sweat. HOLY HUMIDITY.  The driver boy asks me how long I'm staying and what my plans are for Bali. He then asks me to take his number and text him on Whatsapp if I need any future rides. Uh, no sir you may not have my number and I am not going to text you.When I get to my first hotel, which I only planned to stay a night. It was a Marriott and I had points to spare...they upgraded me to the Presidential Suite. I'm sorry, come again? I could go on and on about this room, but let me just show you some pictures and also let you know that they do no justice. (Does this make up for having to fly coach? Maybe I HAD made it after all)

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=11dr-q8Nk5vU_98Db4bxwwfHz366qjb5khttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1V0hQlmBFKzpqiiNWEfmfy8yu5V9QoizS
Other than work trips, it had been quite some time since I last traveled solo. Although solitude was still very much accustom to me, being abroad by myself and in "adventure mode" still needed some adjusting to. So, I unpacked a bit took a much needed shower and decided to go for a walk to the beach. This is an island, right? I found myself beach front in a bean bag chair with a candle lit small wooden dinner table, a shack that had no visible kitchen so I wasn't even going to question how I was going to get the food I ordered from them...and surrounded by stray dogs lying around the beach and observing what was nothing short of a beautiful sunset and 8,348,234 couple selfies. Don't be bitter Shayna. There were almost as many dogs as there was couples. 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=12JRwv8Bu_OIjXPv4y2lln50wstB9npkFhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1IT7iY1rtZryW_SLdUMGtZ8YgnccjIPo1

Nothing emerges you into solo travel like a scene like that. I said, don't be bitter. But, I was so happy to be where I was because it meant I still followed the flame that my heart has always had to see the world, with or without someone. That, well that is what makes me proud of ME.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1w_NFXXHptFMOPJgSwb4b19_J9i3lJFy-https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ttZTkGnk75coUOGRrb4J0C7sT1zlhBEM
The next day, Up and at 'em at 5 AM I was...time adjustment, ek. I watched the sunrise from my private terrace and did my daily devotional and began to journal. I found my hotel for the next two days and headed there early so that I could spend most of the day at the beach and getting my base coat of sun for the trip! Remember, winter in Dallas meant I was pale as could be. The taxi driver asked me how long I stay in Bali and what my plans are...and then asks me to take him number so I can....wait a minute. THIS IS A THING. My ignorant and egocentric self yesterday thought the driver was trying to show interest in me. In a place like this, public transportation consists of two things, taxi and motorbike. With the growing tourism comes the growing availability and such, competition for rides. This is why you can bargain and this is why they want to secure all your "drives" for your stay.

When I got to Kuta, I found myself on a rented beach chair bed with a coconut in hand oceanfront in what was knowingly the "tourist trap" of Bali and accepted it. Just when I had reached pure bliss, a bus load...scratch that, more like 4 bus loads of middle-school children show up at the EXACT spot I rented the chair on this mile long beach and got to spend the next hour at what was clearly a stop on their charter bus tour. For the next hour, I begrudgingly watched as there were thousands of photos and selfies taken, the girls walking with their backs to the camera looking at the ocean...and the boys, taking picture with the background of...OH SHIT, are they really rotating out and taking pictures in front of ME? I. Lost. My. Shit. THIS WAS NOT THE PEACE AND TRANQUILITY I SIGNED UP FOR!!!

To be honest, it bothered me and I know the idea will bother those that love me...but, it is what it is. I was in a bikini and boys are, boys. I made it known as soon as it happened. The biggest issue here was this was NOT the beach experience I had hoped for in Bali. After I was drained from the sun for a bit, I decided to go for Lunch. Well, lunch options in this area are overwhelming because there is no shortage of them. I decided to go to a restaurant on the boardwalk that had an infinity pool and healthy fresh juice. Here, I could have an ice cold beer and be with adults, without the sand and without the bother of kids.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Oot1KI79mzwpPAmm1iBdhVDyB7ozdRz1https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1nvfYkohpEmsyJT4vBsTemlxjuNV7iz3n
This is the life.

I was on my second day and I still hadn't made any friends, which was so unlike me in settings like this. It was fine, the peace and solitude were a nice change. When I checked into my hotel, I decided to use my included 60 minute Balinese massage right away. One of the best things about traveling in this part of the world is the cheap and convenient massages. (To be honest, this was my 3rd massage in the last 24 hours and had only invested $12 so far in what I categorize as "self-care").

Another beautiful hotel room and a location that was in the middle of it all. Pros and cons. I could walk outside and get a massage, buy any goods from the market, grab a coffee...but what that meant was less culture and more chaos. I was there for 2 days so I had to make the most of it. My skin had that "base coat" I wanted...which actually meant my infamous crab shuffle was being delivered in full color. Southern Hemisphere UVs are no joke.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ge3aEsU_IBa0m9f7IMA8mWqkWQPQ4Avg
Kuta is a place of chaos, starbucks, hard rock cafe and vendor galore. You can't walk more than 5 seconds without being offered "transport" or "massage." Men and women line the street waiting for tourists to walk by only to ask for them to look at their shop for souvenir goods, jump on the back of their motor ped or come inside their spa for a massage. Maybe some would argue this IS the culture of Kuta...but it wasn't what I wanted.https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1_ZhwDLMP0LuyY0eXmE0hLttWwZWDi6hA

I spent my last day at the famous "Finns Beach Club" which was an ocean front property that had 3 pools, swim up bars, DJ's and cabanas. It was like a very mellow but still fun version of a Vegas pool party...and I mean much more mellow. I made some friends with a fellow solo traveler from Australia, she was a teacher and 26. I also met a girl who was 24 and from Newport Beach, CA of all places. Who says Americans don't travel? As well as a group of guys who were here for a wedding and all lived in Australia. It was then that I realized Bali is to Australia as Hawaii is to Californians. It was a fun time, but again...I was not looking for this on my trip. I ended up drinking more than I wanted and parched beyond belief when I woke up the next morning...and even more sunburnt.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1TIqFM8k9Xz02q_4FG_cVhVyL7T-1PN0l
Before I checked out, I utilized my discount at the SPA for a "After Sun Shooter" which consisted of a Aloe Vera and Cucumber body wrap to help hydrate and soothe the skin. Thank the laaaaawd.https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1wBFap4OwmO8--4XqUi2wCthLDmmSvrHg

Now, was the part I had been waiting for...Ubud. Ubud is where Julia Roberts is riding her bike through the rice fields on her journey of "love" in Eat, Pray, Love.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1g6r_xqhKmj6E6R0ZVwT5n6V5MArmBVvE
I shall update you on this chapter of my trip later!



Comments