Chile...is NOT Chilly.

Hellllllllo Summer time. 

As if I don't get enough of the heat in Southern Cali, I thought it was necessary to experience another country's Summer. It's hot...I've managed to lose the only tank top I brought. Round of Applause for this girl! 

So what does that leave me with? A pair of black jeans (No way in hell I'm wearing those...), some goofy travel shorts that are now about to fall off of me (I've managed to lose 11 pounds since I left) and a few long sleeves with a flannel. 

Low and behold, I needed a mall. Somewhere I could scoop up a few deals on tank tops and shorts that fit. Shayna you're on a budget, one you've managed to exceed from time to time...suck it up and wear those black jeans and hopefully sweat off a few more lbs while you're at it. (Let's all remember that I'll be in Italy in a short few weeks and pasta is definitely going to be consumed in unreasonable amounts)



Anywho, I threw on the goofy shorts and rolled them a few times and headed to find some cheap store. Chileans sense of style is equivalent to that of a hand-me-downs from your 40-year old virgin Aunt who spends more on ridiculous color pink lipstick with the matching blue eye shadow.

Finding the stores weren't the problem...it was finding a shirt that wasn't in cheetah print or rhinestones. "When in Rome..." 

Only joking, I found some plain jean shorts and two plain tank tops. Now that I've added 3 pieces of clothing to my bag...I'm most definitely going to have to toss something in order to have room. Yes, it's that tight of a squeeze. You only took a backpack Shayna, a BACKPACK and you still kept your infamous reputation of overpacking. Shut up I tell that smart ass conscious of mine! I'd like to think I utilize my resources to the max...that's efficiency. 

Now that I was in appropriate clothing and wasn't contemplating jumping in the fountain at the local park...

I went on a Free Walking Tour (these are my new favorite things to do...budget-friendly and a way to meet new friends) 

On this tour, we learned about Politics, History, Dictatorship and...taught me how to ride the Underground Metro. 

I thought the Bus in Peru was crowded, Pshh. I'm beginning to even forget what personal space feels like. Although the crowd was larger, there was open windows...at least allowing for a breeze of semi-fresh air from time to time. 


Chile is much more established and modernized than Peru...but that also means it's much more "city." Coming from Countryside in Peru, it took me a little longer to appreciate this. I found myself thinking, wow this feels a lot like LA. The traffic, the skyscrapers, the apartment buildings, the fast pace of life...I didn't like it. I didn't travel the world for something I could feel back home. Refund, where's my refund?

But then I opened my mind, I watched the people, I wondered...finding stories and street art I'd never see back home. I was staying in a Hostel this go around and made friends on the rooftop terrace. We had a guy from Malasia who was on country 81 of RTW, a girl from Switzerland who was 19 and on the crazy train, a Scottish version of Bob Marley who was about as laid back as they come and a local Chilean who envied all of us from our trips and courage. We each have different stories, different itineraries but we all travel for the same reason...to live. 

We found ourselves being united in another way...Red Hot Chili Peppers. We put on "OtherSide" and all sang in harmony without a care in the world. 



It was amazing to be reminded of that we are all the same unique people. I understand that's an oxymoron...but trust me when I say there's no other way to describe it. 

On Friday I headed to Valparaiso, a port city about an hour away! Never intended to come here but one of the things about my trip...I'm on my own agenda. Ahh, here is where you all can be envious. 

A train ride, a bus trip and a taxi all got me to this beautiful, colorful, amazing city...my cheap version of paradise. The hostel here, so unique, so wonderful. I'll share more about this stay in my next blog...but for now...hammock time.

 





Comments

  1. Perfect adventure with no agenda- thank you for taking me on this day with you - now start eating some carbs girl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment