Cuzco. The party's here...

Holaaaaaa Cuzco! The party is here (insert infamous dance moves) 

New city. New people. New experiences. Imaaaa ready! 

Holy balls it's cold. Summer. It's summer. This is NOT the California summer I know. Wtf. 

Wait, I can't breathe. Let the anxiety kick in! The streets are cobblestone, the buildings are old. The beauty is never ending. I thought I loved Lima. Ha! Imagine Cuzco to be the "country" version of Lima. Like the outskirts of Dallas. Semi city but mostly country. Authentic...that's the best way to describe it. 

I have arrived in my new place! Very homey feel. But a place of a central gathering for travelers all over the world...

...All rise who think Shayna does things the easy way? I said RISE damnit! Okay, that's fair. Sit you lazies! 

So it's time to explore...before this trip I'd like to think of myself as someone with a good sense of direction...pshh instead of ask Google Maps it's more like where would Shayna go? Left, she'd go left! And that I did. Welllllllllll, left was not right (all meanings intended) As if I needed another way to exemplify my fantastic navigating skills...Shayna was in local Cuzco. Not Tourist Cuzco. No problems, right? I mean other than it being in the wrong direction, UPHILL in this sense air where I was already trying to spare my breathes...

Well, I found my way...after I went and opened google maps lol but I managed. Made my way back to the main plaza and by God it was beautiful! The Cathedral is the second oldest in all of the Americas. Damn Mexicans got the first...lol 

So I'm out wandering the cobblestone streets, the authentic restaurants when I see a free tour! Hellllo! Now I'm not one for tours...I think tour and I think some old guy who is listing ancient history and all I can think about is a glass of wine and a nap! Buuuuut, first of all...this was FREE. You guys, my work gave me 8 weeks off they didn't say they were paying for it! Penny pinching here I am! 

I decided I'd give it 5 minute evaluation...but when the tour guide was comparable to that of the 3 Brothers Tours in the movie The Breakup...I thought, you better stay! 

Here we are traveling the city learning the history, understanding that you do NOT eat salad here (I think to myself, I like this guy even more...giving me a free pass from boring food...f u MyFitnessPal) and having the best Pisco Sour in town. 

Most importantly...hanging with the homies! My new friend Julio! (No that's not racist, that's really his name) 

Cuzco has a never ending display of fireworks, which seems like at all hours of the day! (I thought maybe they were just celebrating my arrival...after all, I am the party) 

The streets are filled with woman, who carry things on their backs, using handmade fabrics...what do they carry? It could be vegetables, linens, hell mostly babies...Uhhh doesn't look as secure as I'd think carry a baby should be? But haven't seen any fall quite yet! 

I know you all are dying to hear about the food experience...after all, it has been my most adventurous aspect! Well well well, alpaca pizza is a thing. The way we eat cows...they eat alpaca. I'm definitely talking myself up to trying it. 

I did order what I THOUGHT would be a grilled cheese...how could they possibly mess that up? Seems pretty safe right? 
Wrong. I got my most favorite thing ever...COLD cheese! Yuck. Take this back. Cook the cheese. Melt it I beg you! 
Hunger leads to desperation...I ate it.


Now, I did notice at the house I'm staying at, cages outside...with Guinea pigs. I can't help but think that they are farming organic dinners, I don't think I'll ever be accepting a meal from them other than bread. 

Tomorrow I head to Ollantantaya and then from there to Agua Calentes where I'll stay the night before I climb Machu Piccu at sunrise! 

So many things to see here and only more to come! 

Comments