People watching is a fancy way to say a loner...

Buenos Dias! 

As you could tell from my last post, my Spanish game isn't exactly up to par. BUT, don't think that's kept me from experiencing Peru in my own way...

Since my spanish game can pretty much order me a water and point me to the nearest bathroom...and my data isn't on when I'm out and about therefore, at the times when I need a translator app the third world reminds me this isn't America and data charges DO APPLY! What's a girl to do? I can attempt to talk with my hands...maybe I can draw a picture...no Shayna you can never win a game of pictionary even if you only had to connect the dots like in grade school. Alright back to day one I guess pointing will be my go-to! 

Since I'm unable to communicate in regular conversation I choose to listen, instead of talk. Watch instead of being active. I'm taking in this country in a way that's different than any place I'd travel before. I'm not meeting people the way I normally would, instead I'm learning by watching. It's different but just as rewarding.

Anywho, I think I win with the food for day two. Although my "ensalada" wasn't even lettuce my main course made up for it. Meat, potatoes, rice and a piece (yes, just one) of broccoli! Which leads me to...

OBSERVATION #1: Peruvian starch game is strong and balance doesn't exist 
Good Lord Almighty! The food is starch overload...don't get me wrong, carbs are my fav! Oh look, potatoes YUM...is that rice on the same plate? served with a piece of bread also? Uhh, where's the meat? Oh that little slice right there underneath the questionable looking sauce? I'm going to starve. Wither away to nothing...I'm walking an average of 5 miles...I need protein! I refuse to have it in the form of Guinea Pig! Oh shit, is that what I ordered? 

Quite possibly now that I think about it. 😳 Guess we'll never know! It did look like a small pork chop and had the same texture, yet wasn't the taste of it. As I'm writing, it's becoming more evident and I think I need to go throw up now...un momento! 

I've decided, Just give me vegetables! I'll need to learn how to say that. Can't f that up...unless they like boil it in Guinea pig flavored water. That's it I'm scarred for life! 

OBSERVATION #2: They wear their wedding rings on their right hand 
I'm on a crowded bus, where personal space doesn't exist and neither is my bubble. My bubble of personal space officially has been popped! For all of you that know me, I'm not a fan of over stepping that boundary...not even when it comes to cuddling with a loved one. Dane can vouch for that! Lol 

Yeah...not allowed to have that here in Peru, especially on a bus. When you are standing literally touching shoulders and backs, sometimes even 5 inches from each other's face you start looking around instead of making direct eye contact. And to distract you from this hard-working, sweaty guy on a bus with no air conditioning holding his hand up grabbing the bar above to help keep the balance and is giving off a nice little aroma of a full day of labor...yuck!

Anyway, I start to observe...people's wedding bands are on the right hand. Looked odd. I could've sworn it was the left hand (what do I know, I've never been married Ha.) Although it is still the fourth finger, everyone had rings on their right hand. I look at my hands trying to see if i remembered correctly or if the Guinea pig was a hallucinogenic kind...

Due to the fact I couldn't ask anyone why they wore it on their right hand, well I guess I could but when they'd respond I'd probably listen to the whole response and once again have to use my most common phrase yet, "no comprende!" Therefore, I say to myself "Its worth a Google" ...It's a tradition in few countries, the right hand is considered dominant and represents strength that is needed in a marriage. 

Observation #3: People are amazing all over the world, no wealth is needed
I'm on this crowded bus, hopefully I've explained it to somewhat of accuracy yet I don't think it's possible without being present. Anyway, there are kids coming home from school, women who have sold stuff all day heading to who knows where (a lot of people sell candies and waters, in hopes of making what I'd imagine is like 5 soles a day total given the competition) and people in slacks and button ups coming or going from work. Then there's me, in between all of them. We pull up to a stop, 4 elderly people get on and immediately seats open up and everyone helps get them to open seats that were a rare commodity before they stepped foot on the bus. Respect. Love. Beautiful hearts. 

It's not that these things wouldn't happen back home, it's just so noticeable here. Most people stick to their own worlds and keep walking keep focusing on their phones or whatever else they are preoccupied to notice such presence of a new person on the bus. Honestly, this moment made me smile. Yet, wouldn't be the last. A teenage boy helped a man in a wheel chair with no legs, get up a curb as I was walking through Plaza de San Martin. But my absolute favorite moment of realizing just how amazing people are...

My host mother. She does not speak an ounce of English. Honestly, didn't even understand when I said "5 o'clock" I had to count on my hands to realize it was cinco. She must be thinking, "gringa" but she doesn't, she does not let the language barrier stop her from having conversation. She continues to go off in her story telling with excitement and happiness. I pay close attention to key words and hand gestures to piece it all together. She is woman of strength and happiness. You would never believe she has seen a sad day in her life...this has been such an amazing first stop so far. 

To continue on her kindness, she teaches me how to cook a Peruvian meal. This morning she asked if I knew what I wanted to cook, I responded anything she'd like to teach me...reeeeeeeally hoping its appetizing or else I'm going to starve here. I caught on to the word tortilla and pollo so I said "Si si si si si!...Por Favor" 

There is a God, she's actually going to cook me something normal...none of this Guinea pig or cooked banana shit. 

It didn't end up being the tortilla I had imagined, nonetheless, tasty! It was a vegetable tortilla that was more like an omelet just add some flour for thickness. 

She asks me if I'd like apple juice or teas to go with dinner...which leads me to my final point

OBSERVATION #4: Apple juice to Peru is like Water to America 

You know when you walk in to a restaurant and you look forward to that glass of water before the beverage you actually decide on? When you've walked up and down and around blocks exploring the city and just want to drink your ice cold water through your clean clear straw before you order your food? When your body is like, uh mam I'm gunna need you to rehydrate here buddy!

Well, think again there body. You get apple juice. Not the apple juice you're thinking of...not filled with artificial flavoring and nonsense...real fresh from the apple and add some cinnamon and herbs. Very light, still refreshing. But still not water. Still no straw. I like straws, especially ones that are clear so I can tell if they are clean. IF you are lucky to find a straw, it most definitely isn't clear. How am I going to make it? 

Every single place I've gone Apple Juice was served, even here at my host family. Jugo de manzana. I think to myself, my body is made of 70% water or something right? Not theirs...its 70% Apple juice! It has to be. 

It's been a fantastic couple of days and only more to come! 

Comments

  1. Enjoy the documentaries. Be vigilant and stay safe......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment