The end of my life as I knew it...

Time to make the trek to Agua Calientes! I have to stay here tonight so that I can see the sunrise over Machu Piccu in the morning! 

Apparently you take a "bus" to Ollantaytambo where the train is and that train takes you to Agua Calientes. Bill (my host) says, hang a right at the top of the block the bus will find you. Oh I'm sorry by bus I thought you mean BUS not van jam-packed with people and doesn't take off until it's loaded...my mistake. 

Well, I found the "bus" 10 soles ($3) to take me to Ollantaytambo it was filled with 15 people. My first thought was Hmm, this definitely isn't "comfortable" but it's not a bus filled with white girls so I doubt they are intending to kidnap these 12 men and us other 3 outsiders. Let's give it a try! 


5 minutes in...wtf! This van is filled, when I say filled I mean the older gentleman and my thigh were making its own sweat. Chlostrophobia was not allowed to exist. It's fine, just open the window and enjoy the air, right? Wrong! Windows didn't open...air conditioning? "Um excuse me! Can you turn up the A/C?"...would've been the punch line for the whole van to laugh hysterically. No A/C. That's a luxury and lord help me, this was NOT luxurious. 

We're headed up the steep streets of Cuzco...when I'm suddenly getting a bit nervous. These are rough neighborhoods, more stray dogs than there are houses with roofs. My chest begins to get a little heavy...you're okay Shayna, Machu Piccu is in the mountains so naturally we have to go uphill...it's okay just breathe! So that I do...nice big deep breathe of the over abundance of cologne the man sitting next to me felt the need to lather himself in today. Shit


15 minutes in...we are in the country side of the journey and by God it's beautiful! 
There is a never ending field of green with animals everywhere and farmers every few miles. The valley and country side were comparable to Hawaii, yet far more beautiful in my opinion! 


Although the scenery was beautiful, the ride not so great! I'm in the last row in the corner seat...I've tolerated that my personal space doesn't exist anymore, at least in this country...yet doesn't seem to make it any easier when the mans thigh who's sitting next to me is making leg sweat with mine. Ugh

So we're driving, I'm finally starting to relax as I realize we're by some gorgeous views. Then we approach a downhill...full speed ahead the driver insisted or we didn't have brakes, not too sure. 
We are hauling ass, on a damn mountain...it was about this point I had my "I think this is the end..." moment of the ride. My chest gets heavier, my heart is beating as if I am on the edge of a cliff about to jump, oh wait, I AM on a freakin cliff! When suddenly the driver honks the horn over and over again, I look ahead and there's a stray dog in the road...thump thump. 

Annnnnnnnd, I lost it. I'm out. Get my out. I'm done. Eff this. 

I've managed to have kept it together up until this point, impressive I must say. Yet, that ship has sailed. Full on freak out mode. We don't have brakes, I don't have space, I can't breathe and now we just killed a dog. What on earth have I signed up for?

I can handle this...I have no choice. We approach a very small town, extreme poverty when suddenly...we are coming to a stop

We're getting kidnapped. Robbed. Taken. I hope my mom got the text with the bus # on it. 

My heart is racing as I'm thinking there is no way in hell this is where the train station is. Data? Who gives a shit...where's my maps? Where am I? 

Then suddenly...we go over a speed bump. Uhhhh, okay you paranoid freak calm down and enjoy the ride

1 hour in...I'm in love with the views, I'm tolerating the leg sweat, I'm still getting anxiety with every downhill but it's manageable! But just my luck, the next challenge... we start to approach cars ahead. Hauling ass downhill, no brakes, in a questionable van who's quality is that of a 1972 Nissan...when this mothertrucker tries to go around them. 

Head on into oncoming traffic's lane and that's when Southern California Road Rage surfaced..."how bout you just stay the fuck in your lane?!"

As if my emotional state hasn't been pushed to its max...

I'm dealing with motion sickness, anxiety, contemplating every life choice as this is naturally the end...all the while my bladder is about to explode. (You know when you pour a beer from the tap and it starts to overfill on the top even though you didn't keep adding to it?) Well, that was my bladder.

Of course!! Cobblestone streets, best thing for this whole scenario. Where the eff is the train station? 



We arrive! Hallelujah, thank you Lord...my prayers paid off. I need a beer and the train station that is all! 


The train ride was much much more wonderful. I can't even begin to describe these valleys we are going through. So incredible. 


Agua Calientes! Cute town with shops, bars and restraunts. I'll be up at 3 AM to start my hike by 4 up to Machu Piccu to see the sunrise.  

So excited! Oh, and my room had a blow dryer! How awesome! 


**i hope this blog made you feel scared, worried, anxious and have to pee. If it did, my job as a writer has been successful. Don't worry I was never in harms way...I'm just paranoid.


Comments